So the #1 rule I tell my clients is this– do not focus on being STRICT (unless that’s your mission and you WANT to be super strict with yourself), focus on these 7 easy tips to stay within a healthy limit, but also not feeling deprived either!! I learned early on in my health and fitness journey that for ME, I had to keep it to the 80/20 rule! What does that even mean? Well it means that for about 80% of my week- I focus on eating all of my fruits, veggies, protein, etc! I drink my water and i’m really on point! And then the other 20%- well that is where some treats come in! I can not feel deprived or else I binge eat. And I DO NOT want to go there! So I just eat according to my goals!
We are going to be camping this weekend! So what am I doing to prepare for a long weekend away? I’m setting myself up for success in a few ways!
#1- I am preparing some protein to bring! We are pre grilling some chicken to grab out of the fridge as a snack or to toss on a salad.
Here are my SEVEN tips to surviving the holiday weekend!!
1. Schedule your cheat meal for the week: Decide what you want to splurge on! Is it the grilled hotdogs that you LOVE? Is it your best friend’s macaroni and cheese? Is it the AMAZING peanut butter cake your aunt brings every year? Or is it the darn smores that get you every time? Maybe it’s the beer or margaritas that you just can’t say no to!!
If you want to do something different then get yourself out for a run or switch it up by going to the gym in the hotel while traveling. But if you are going to be enjoying summer treats, don’t schedule a rest day on a cheat day!
3. Take a healthy appetizer if you go to a picnic: This way you know you have something that you can eat that is guilt free! Here are a few of my festive favorites that you would not think of as a clean option.
4. Don’t let yourself get to the point of ravenous: If you are planning a picnic try not to skip meals. Eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day to keep your metabolism in check but also because when I get to the point of beyond hungry all logical decision making goes out the door and I make bad choices! So no matter what pack some snacks in a cooler, take your shake, drink your water and stay focused!!!!
5. What are the best drinks to have?: Stay away from sugar loaded fruity cocktails like Margaritas, Daiquiris, Pina Coladas, Beer and wine. They are just full of sugar and carbs. The best drinks to go for are really vodka and soda water with a splash of lemon or lime. We also make our own margaritas that are clean.
One thing we recently have been doing is blending up fresh watermelon and then using the juice as the base, add in some tequilla, a splash of margarita mix, seltzer water and serve. So refreshing and 1/2 the sugar!
6. Stay Hydrated: So when the sun is hot and you are outside it’s easy to get dehydrated. So make sure you are constantly sipping your water and staying hydrated so you don’t confuse your thirst for hunger and begin to overeat! Aim to drink 1/2 your body weight in OUNCES of water each day! The more coffee you drink the more dehydrated you get, so sip that water!
7. Don’t Stress and HAVE FUN! Stress can absolutely derail progress, so make sure that you aren’t thinking about ‘what do I eat, how do I stay on track, oh my gosh! How many calories is in that, I can’t have that, etc’ when you should just have your plan and go with the flow! Enjoy the holiday, have a GAME PLAN and have some fun!! Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day! One day will NOT make or break you, just like one workout or one day of eating healthy will help you lose 20 pounds or get you abs! NOT GONNA HAPPEN! Progress, progress, progress! You can do it!
What are some of my favorite summer time recipes that you can make?!
Here you go!
POUR JELLO OVER ENTIRE CAKE!!
Refrigerate until cold- about 3 hours.
Soda water/vodka (boring but add a squeeze of lemon, lime or oranges to the mix and give it some flavor)