These sandwiches are so yummy and totally taste like they are full of calories! In reality, this is a pretty clean dinner and I really want to encourage you to try it out!! This is 100% MAN tested and APPROVED! My hubby loves me to make these often, especially for football parties and any kind of friend’s night in!
- 1 whole-grain hot dog bun
- 4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup white onion, cut into slivers
- 1 green peper cut into strips
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 slice reduced-fat provolone cheese (such as Sargento Reduced Fat Deli Style Sliced Provolone Cheese)
- 1 tbsp natural low-sodium ketchup
- 1 tbsp hot pepper rings or more, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400°F.
- Cut piece of aluminum foil a few inches larger than bun. Wrap bun completely in foil.
- To shave chicken, hold sharp knife at a 45-degree angle and cut slivers from breast, tearing it until shaved (it should be cut much thinner than if it was just sliced).
- Warm bun in oven for 10 minutes.
- Set small nonstick pan over medium-high heat. When hot, lightly mist with cooking spray and add onion. Cook about 2 to 4 minutes or until tender and starting to brown. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm. Return pan to high heat. When hot, re-mist pan with cooking spray and add chicken. Season with salt and black pepper. Use 2 wooden spoons or spatulas to pull apart chicken shavings for even browning. Cook until lightly browned and no longer pink, about 2 minutes, and remove pan from heat. Add onions back to pan and stir to combine.
- Unwrap bun and open it, being careful not to burn yourself. Add cheese, followed by chicken and onions. Top with ketchup and hot pepper rings, if desired. Serve immediately.