I also write myself little notes REMINDING myself how crappy I feel after binge eating. Why I don’t want to eat ALL of the cake- instead just a piece because I feel so bloated, tired and lazy that it’s not worth it to me! I also know that alcohol take DAYS to get out of my system and really does a # on me, so I limit myself to one drink once in awhile! And it’s usually a skinny margarita or a vodka soda water!
#2 TIPS FOR GOING TO PARTIES OR COOKOUTS!!
1. If I am going to a party and I don’t know what foods will be served I will have my Shakeology or a small meal before going to the party. That way when I walk in the door I am not ravenous and eat everything in sight.
2. I make the focus on my get together’s on socializing and not the food. So I get a glass of water and talk to old friends, family and just keep busy. I offer to set up, get the kids meals prepared and then do the dishes afterwards. Just the act of keeping my mind busy helps me to not munch.
3. Avoid standing over the food table to talk. So take yourself away from the food area. When you sit around a table and talk with appetizers and munchies in the middle you are more likely to mindlessly eat. Instead, take your discussions outside or to a couch away from the food!
4. If you decide to have a drink or two my rule of thumb is that for every drink you have drink one full glass of water. It keeps you hydrated and full!
5. If this is your scheduled indulgence meal then DON’T feel guilty about it! You have earned it! But I do recommend that you are mindful of your portion sizes. So indulging doesn’t mean you eat 2 pieces of cake, fried chicken, potato salad, a couple of margaritas and appetizers! It means that you follow the guidelines for portion control and choose the things that you want to splurge the most on! Then, go from there. Remember to eat slowly and when you are 80% full STOP! Don’t stuff yourself!
6. Get up and do your workout that day! If you know that you are going to have a busy weekend then make sure you get in your workout! Get up early and squeeze in a quick HIIT workout before your busy day starts. When you workout you are more likely to make better decisions throughout the day!
Now that I have given you some of my tips I want to also share with you some of my recipes that I will be taking to BBQ’s this weekend! I always offer to bring a clean appetizer or side dish, that way if nothing else is what I call healthy then at least I had my shake and I can eat my own food I brought!
20-oz package extra lean ground turkey
2 TB liquid aminos (such as Bragg)
¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
¼ cup red onion, chopped
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp thyme seasoning
4 pineapple slices, approx 1/2 inch thick
How to Prepare
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
2. Combine ground turkey, liquid aminos, pepper, onion, black pepper, and thyme in large bowl and mix thoroughly until all ingredients are well distributed.
3. Divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions and form into burger patties
4. Put on a plate; grab the 4 pineapple slices and head to the grill.
5. Place the burgers and the pineapple slices on the grill (the pineapple will cook for the same amount of time as the burgers to soften up and get that yummy smokey flavor.
6. After approximately 8 minutes, flip the burgers and the pineapple slices (the underside should be nice and brown).
7. After approximately 4 minutes, place one pineapple slice onto the top of each burger.
8. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until burgers are cooked thoroughly and no longer pink in the center.
9. Turn off the grill. Using a long spatula, carefully remove the burgers from the grill (don’t lose those pineapples!) and onto a plate.
I cut up 3-4 sweet potatoes length wise into steak fry strips. Then, put in a large ziplock bag. Add Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Season Salt to lightly cover. Shake with bag closed then lay on a baking sheet and cook at 425 degrees until crispy or for about 25-30 minutes.
This recipe is perfect for any outdoor BBQ. It’s light refreshing and CLEAN!
Literally you just cut up a bunch of citrus fruit and toss it into a bowl.
Mandarin Oranges with juice drained
Kumquat, peeled, washed, remove seeds,cut in half lengthwise
2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped.Toss all fruit together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve!
My favorite appetizer and it’s perfect served with blue tortillas from Sam’s Club.
- 3 ripe avocados
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lime
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 red or purple onion, minced well
- 1 clove garlic, passed through a garlic press
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper.
Cut avocados in half. Discard pits and scoop flesh medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients to bowl and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix!
1/4 cup Lime juice1 cup Fresh Squeezed Oranges
Splash of simple syrup (organic)
1/4 cup Tequila Milagro
Splash of LaCroix Sparkling Water in Lime Flavor
Mix it in a shaker cup and pour of ice! ENJOY!!!
Have a safe and happy holiday weekend!